Monday, September 10, 2012

Meet the Teacher: Valerie Love


You may already know Valerie Love from her Gentle Yoga classes at Healium. She's now also teaching Power Yoga Dynamics on Tuesdays at 5.30 pm. Here are Val's thoughts on the magic of yoga - and food!

1. What is your favorite thing about yoga?

How good I feel after practicing. My body feels stronger, and the day-to-day aches that creep in after too much sitting in front of computers always disappear after a practice. I also find in those final moments of savanasa I'm able to really connect with my true self, and find a sense of clarity that at other times can feel quite elusive!

2. What is your favorite yoga pose?

Supported fish. I love back extensions and heart openers generally, and supported fish in particular feels so lovely and nurturing in my body. It's such a beautiful release.

3. What is your favorite thing to teach?

I tend to focus on the connection to the breath. My dynamic classes emphasize movement and breath, and my gentle classes focus on relaxation and breath. I find that focused breathing helps to balance the energy in the body - it raises the spirit when you're feeling exhausted, and helps to calm the body and mind to release overactive energies.

4. What is your favorite posture to teach?

It's actually savasana. Most people barely even think of it as a posture - you're just lying on the floor, right? But there's so much depth and nuance in the pose, and I love the sense of peace and relaxation at the end of the practice, and the sharing of energy with others in the room. Where else in our lives do we get to share a space of rest and rejuvenation with others?

5. What is your favorite thing to do other than practice and teach yoga?

Eat good food and travel! I love cooking and eating fresh seasonal fruits and veges from the Sunday morning market. I enjoy experimenting with flavors and spices, and unusual combinations of foods. My chocolate beetroot cake is to die for. And I have a minor obsession with soup. A good soup really does make me ridiculously happy!

Be sure to check out Val's column, "Yoga on a Plate," on The Yoga Lunchbox. For her full teaching schedule, visit her website, Kiwi and Kumara.

No comments: